[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cisco PIX and m0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:06:55 +1000
On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 06:21, M. G. (Michael) de Bruin wrote:

> Hilton Travis wrote:
>
> > Hi Jean-Francois,
> >
> > On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 02:54, Jean-Francois Theroux wrote:
> >
> >>Hi guys,
> >>
> >>   First of all, hello, i'm new to the list. Now let's get down to
> >>business. I wanted to know if anyone managed to establish a IPSec
> >>connection between a Cisco PIX and a m0n0wall box?
> >

> > Nabisco inclused 1DES by default in all their PIX boxen, and this
> > encryption protocol is about as secure as a tissue paper condom.  They
> > have an upgrade to 3DES that generally costs a significant amount of
> > money.  Unless you have this upgrade, you'll not be able to establish an
> > IPSEC tunnel with your m0n0wall as m0n0wall doesn't support such a joke
> > of an encryption protocol.
> >
> The 3DES upgrade for a Cisco PIX is totally free, has been for months,
> Before that it cost $ 35 for administration, which had also been for
> quite a few months. So, no costly upgrade in this case.

Free for all of their PIX products?  That's interesting, because for
some of their products it used to cost over US$1000 to add 3DES.  It
looks like Cisco has finally realized that they cannot price their gear
at 3-4 times market value.  Or is this only for their low end gear?

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/