[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] quad ethernet cards?
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:03:44 -0500
Intel's quad card is 10/100/1000, and is some sweet hardware.  It's still
a bit pricey, although it seems to be more cost effective than the
adaptec card.  They do have a 10/100 dual port card that also looks nice.

I've also find a reference to a card made by silicom, but can't find
anyone actually selling it, or whether it is supported by FreeBSD.

I've also run across a 4 port 10/100 card that appears to be produced
by mikrotik, which seems to be running around USD$125 each most places
I've found it.

Syskonnect also makes some rather nice dual-port gigabit cards.  My
memory of buying a syskonnect card in the past is that they cost over
USD$600.

If money weren't an issue, I think I'd lean towards the intel 10/100/1000
quad card.  I think I would also encourage the client to replace that
lame motherboard of his (all cyrix, including a C3 800MHz processor) with
something supporting PCI-X.

Money being what it is, I think we'll probably lean towards the mikrotik
card.

It seems adding the word 'adapter' to the google search terms makes a
world of difference.  *grin*

I'll keep looking, but I think we've found our answer.

thanks again,
jim