[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DWL-520 V.E1 not supported
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:22:31 +0100
On 11.03.2004 08:32 +1000, Hilton Travis wrote:

> That aside, I agree that there needs to be more hardware support in
> m0n0wall on the Wireless side.  There are no 802.11g chipsets

And how are we supposed to do that? m0n0wall is based on FreeBSD (if
I had a dime for everytime I had to mention that...), so basically we
can't use anything that FreeBSD doesn't support. Atheros 802.11g
cards are supported in FreeBSD 5.2, but after another very unpleasant
recent experience on a standard Intel-based PC, I don't think I'm
going to use it anytime soon. I believe it's just not good and fast
enough for something like m0n0wall yet.

> I have a net4521 here waiting for 802.11g WIC support - I'm not
> going to be running out any buying any 802.11b PC Cards nor cPCI
> cards for this box.  Especially considering all of my clients are
> looking at 802.11g implementations.

I wouldn't waste money on an 802.11g card for a net4521 anyway. The
little 486/133 in it will not be able to take the card anywhere near
its effective maximum throughput (in fact the net45xxs can almost be
maxed out with 802.11b cards). Buy a real, dedicated 802.11g access
point and hook it up to an optional (Ethernet) interface, and you'll
also get features like disabling SSID broadcasting, WPA, probably
better stability than with hostap, and so on.

- Manuel