[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Richard Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 To:  Mark Spieth <mspieth at neod dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Comparative Products to M0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:20:26 +0000
Some of the points made are a bunch of crap people:

1) I invented SmoothWall/IPCop so credit me with some knowledge before flaming
me
2) One major thing that SW/IPCop has because of how I designed the technology
on a cigarette packet in a pub 4 years ago - pre any code being committed was:
Connectivity. There is no firewall application device on the planet that has
modem, ISDN, Cable, DSL, USB ADSL and the connectivity methods SW has. M0n0 is
purely ethernet so not comparable. M0n0 can only service 20% of the community
that SW and IPcop target.
3) I agree with Mark from day one I didnt want IDS or Squid on the box, and
I've never used them - it was there because sometimes as a team leader you
can't always throw toys out your pram - you have to be nice and say ok... while
weighing up security risk.
4) M0n0 doesn't do the quality of logging that SW does and nor does it have the
ease of use and installation that I designed from day one using libnewt.
5) M0n0 doesn't have the depth of usability (or user friendliness that SW does)
6) M0n0 doesn't have the hardware support for devices because of fact its
FreeBSD based.

Saying that I financially contribute to M0n0 and see Marcel's work as
fundamentally important to succeed. As with everything you have to decide on
targets. SW did a huge amount in a short period while morons slashdotted me
they forgot we were changing the way the industry worked.

Richard