[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Martin Holst" <mail at martinh dot dk>
 To:  <jim at giffords dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: quad ethernet cards?
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:49:27 +0100
Hi Jim!

Another solution which should work as well: 2->1 PCI adapter.
It will only give you one extra PCI-slot and may require some case
modification - but it's cheap ;o)
(Around 15-20$ here in Denmark)

/Martin

Intel's quad card is 10/100/1000, and is some sweet hardware.  It's still
a bit pricey, although it seems to be more cost effective than the
adaptec card.  They do have a 10/100 dual port card that also looks nice.

I've also find a reference to a card made by silicom, but can't find
anyone actually selling it, or whether it is supported by FreeBSD.

I've also run across a 4 port 10/100 card that appears to be produced
by mikrotik, which seems to be running around USD$125 each most places
I've found it.

Syskonnect also makes some rather nice dual-port gigabit cards.  My
memory of buying a syskonnect card in the past is that they cost over
USD$600.

If money weren't an issue, I think I'd lean towards the intel 10/100/1000
quad card.  I think I would also encourage the client to replace that
lame motherboard of his (all cyrix, including a C3 800MHz processor) with
something supporting PCI-X.

Money being what it is, I think we'll probably lean towards the mikrotik
card.

It seems adding the word 'adapter' to the google search terms makes a
world of difference.  *grin*

I'll keep looking, but I think we've found our answer.

thanks again,
jim