[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Richard Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 To:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Comparative Products to M0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:12:10 +0000
> M0n0wall has the underpinnings of an enterprise class firewall product
> and with very little tweaking will be the whole way there. Smoothwall
> has the underpinnings of a small office/soho broadband router.
>
> That being said if you require no real flexibility or control whatsoever
> from the primary interface I would say use smoothwall in a heartbeat.

Hmm David, I don't think you have much comprehension of your topic matter. It
doesn't bother me. I sold Smoothwall made enough cash not to worry about stuff
for a long time, so it scratched my itch and I put 20 hrs a day into it 7 days
a week for almost 3 1/2 yrs so earnt every penny (and more).

Your comprehension is lax. SW GPL (not corporate) has millions of users. There
are corporates and schools, institutions and companies of all sizes (I have
emails from network admins of 5,000+ users using GPL) so I think that sort of
makes your argument above look utter rubbish.

Please research your topic matter. I love M0n0wall to bits, it's got potential
but it's not got 1% of the penetration SW has and I hope that it succeeds to
get a whole lot more. You can't compare apples and pears at the end of the day
it's a NAT'ing firewall - any Linux box as long as its chunky running IPChains
and Masquerading and sensible security policies can protect any network of any
size. Thats the beauty of open source. Your argument above though was not very
well constructed and held little water.

Richard