[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Richard Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 To:  Donald Deacon <donald at 501 dot co dot za>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Comparative Products to M0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:34:45 +0000
Where have you been ??

Every SW since July 2001 has always connected home. It's NOT spyware. It was
designed so we could put FTP servers in locations we had no idea we had users.
We were entirely public (just found 302 postings on various sites we made PRE
doing it). The usual Slashdot geeks and idiots with agendas screamed but as we
never collected IP address purely connection method, CPU string, RAM, Mainboad
info AND were totally and utterly open (AT POINT OF INSTALLATION A WHOLE PAGE
OF TEXT INFORMING THE USER). We also checked it with OSI and FSF and made it a
condition of ownership.

It benefitted every SW user of next releases (0.9.6 onwards) by allowing us to
work out aggregate users and hardware specs, e.g we could say 63% of users were
P120 or above and 64MB and therefore tweak Apache and Squid and system
resources as standard to suit the average user rather than cater for the sad
geek with his die hard 486/66.

It meant we could pass on performance AND security benefits.

NO there was no security implication, it only happened on FIRST attempted
connection. Without sending this info it was therefore impossible to get the
updates (e.g it wouldn't be able to upload updates). It made the platform grow
fast and it was entirely sensible. One thing Donald, please don't ever assume I
haven't the first clue about security - 10 yrs of security development under my
belt :)

Everything I do - everything - is keyed around making life secure for people.
It's why SW has never ever been hacked and how many millions of users use it ?

IPCop took it out. Biggest mistake they ever made because it meant they couldnt
know the hardware of their userbase and they couldnt grow their platform but
then they have a much much much smaller userbase. Thats the cool thing about
OpenSource - we give you the code so you can enhance and modify :)

So no - no security risk and an entirely sensible and looking back we should
have done it a year earlier. Parsing the SQL database became impossible even on
a dual pentium a year later. That many single line entries.

Hope thats informative.

Dick