[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Comparative Products to M0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:47:54 -0500
On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 01:48:14PM +0700, Andy Prasetya wrote:
> Dear M0n0wall Community,
> Recently, my supervisor asked me to develop a comparative
> chart/information about M0n0wall and other "peer-class/quality"
> products. Does anybody can help me to find some few (at least 3 or 4
> products) which can be compared to a M0n0wall box, in terms of their
> features?
>
> Thank you very much.
> andyprasetya at netscape dot net

There has been a lot of traffic on this thread, including many free/open
source solutions.  However, I think it might be important to also compare
to the firewall solutions that Manuel said he was targetting for feature
set.  Here's a bit of the email he sent back in January:

> Hey folks,
>
> I feel the need to state once and for all what the intention with which
> I started m0n0wall was. My goal was to create a free/open-source
> alternative to smaller commercial firewall boxes - no more, no less. I
> figured that on a Soekris or similar embedded PC, it could be made to
> look and behave just like a commercial firewall - only cheaper and with
> me in control of the features. When I started working on it, I
> especially had the following models in mind:
>
> - WatchGuard SOHO
> - ZyXEL ZyWALL 10
> - SonicWALL SOHO
> - NetScreen 5XP

So while you're comparing, don't forget these commercial products as
well.  You'll notice a few other "features" listed in that first
paragraph.  *grin*

hope this helps,
jim