[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 To:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Comparative Products to M0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:53:56 -0500
At 11:01 AM 3/11/2004, David Rodgers wrote:
><SNIP>
> > 5) M0n0 doesn't have the depth of usability (or user friendliness that
> SW does)
>
>Monowall is MUCH better at the core function which is AN ACTUAL FIREWALL
>than smoothwall is. If you are a business looking for a firewall and you
>know what you are doing that's what you want ... not all the fluff. I
>will say that it isn't as easy because you have to understand what a
>firewall is and what is it supposed to do and actually define rules to
>pass traffic ..... but if you are managing a firewall and don't know
>these things ....well ... you are probably an MCSE and should not be
>entrusted to do this work to begin with.

Or you're one of the many, many of us who work for small cash tight
companies and are saddled with the responsibility for this in addition to
whatever our other *real* job is simply because we're more technical than
anyone else in the office.  I'm sure we could convince our employers to
either buy a commercial FW appliance or hire out a consultant to handle the
task if we were willing to take that expense out of our pay checks.   Don't
get me wrong, I agree that if you're going to do this you should know how
to do it.  But then again, that's why most of us, (well maybe only some of
us) apparently including the original poster, are on lists like this is to
learn how to do it.  We relish the guidance of those gurus among you who
have the requisite knowledge and are willing to share it so freely.  Please
don't chide us too harshly when we ask seemingly stupid things.

Melvin

Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick any two