[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Richard Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 Cc:  Donald Deacon <donald at 501 dot co dot za>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Comparative Products to M0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:55:58 -0700
At 03:39 AM 3/12/2004, Richard Morrell wrote:
>Umm free - without source Chad.
>
>Freely distributable does not mean free. Free means I can get under the
>bonnet and fix it.

It's not clear which meaning Donald was using.

Spanish has two different words for "hot".  You could say, "This food is
calente", or say "This food is picante."

In the Free Software world, "free" has two meanings.  There's "libre" and
"gratis."

A whole bunch of misunderstandings, especially at the pointy-haired boss
level, have come from confusing the two.

I've always maintained the OpenBSD guys have a better name than use FreeBSD
guys for that exact reason.

>Quoting "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>:
> > At 07:08 AM 3/11/2004, Donald Deacon wrote:
> > >Imagine trying to get free Software from MS!
> >
> > You mean, like Internet Explorer?  Or Media Player?  Or Remote
> > Desktop?  (All of which are available for Unix [OS X] as well as Windows.)
> >
> >           -crl

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400