[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Per IP Logging
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:16:25 -0500
Usually a lack of an answer on this list is for one of these reasons:

1)  nobody has an answer to give, and rather than waste bandwidth and
    list reader time, they just sit quiet hoping someone else has
    an answer.

2)  In the case of a problem, not enough details were given for those
    that might be able to figure out an answer to do so.  Rather than
    answer incorrectly and perhaps make the problem worse, they sit
    quietly hoping that either more information will be forthcoming,
    or that someone else with hazard a guess that elicit more information.

3)  You're trying to do something nobody else on the list has tried yet.
    As such, you are exploring new territory, and might just have
    to figure it all out on your own.  Sometimes this results in you
    achieving your goal.  Sometimes you have to give up.

It is very frustrating to have a problem and post to the list and not
receive any replies.  I've been there myself.  However, I have to remind
myself that this product does work quite well, is free (libre and gratis),
and support is voluntary.  As such, I can't expect or demand answers to
my questions.  I've learned a lot just from reading the emails on this
list, and now I even contribute some (at least, I hope it is contributing
and not just annoying people).

Hang in there.  The more you push the envelope, the more you learn
about m0n0wall's abilities and limits, and the more you contribute to
the pool of knowledge about m0n0wall.  Also, knowledge gained via such
frustrations tends to be of more value, and will generally be retained
much better than something gotten from a quick answer from someone else.

I hope this helps,
jim