[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bart Smit <bit at pipe dot nl>
 To:  Morten Winther <freebsd at mwi dot dk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: SV: [m0n0wall] smtp redirect
 Date:  Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:43:29 +0100
Morten Winther wrote:

 > Just imagine a hotel with guests trying to send mail - all of them
 > using there 'home net ' smtp server which should result in a relay
 > access denied.

I use my laptop at different places, and also occasionally dialin
to my provider. Yet, I don't really often have to reconfigure
because I have only "smtp" as the name of the outgoing mail server.
This is always relative to the domain I get assigned through DHCP,
and in many cases ends up at exactly the right server.

So I think the most reasonable you can do is:
- make sure your mail relay is reachable as "smtp.your.domain"
- allow smtp.your.domain:25 tcp
- deny all other outgoing smtp

But don't simply hijack smtp traffic. That would be rather impolite.

--B