[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  John Andrunas <andrunas at treyarch dot com>
 To:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Per IP Logging
 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:48:48 -0800
Except a solution like this would not work at my office,due the strange
configuration, I don't normally have direct access to the box, and it
goes into one switched port then to our switches that we currently lease
from another company in this building and then to the rest of my
network. I don't have the ability to configure any of our switches.  I
will admit that the configuration is far from optimal for gathering
accurate information in any way other that on the box itself or via some
sort of  proxy.  I am glad I am not the one responsible for selecting
this current configuration, as it really is quite dumb, but I am
responsible for ensuring that our network works, and at times it is god
awful slow. When I do some searching I can find out who is abusing the
system, but I would really like a streamlined way to do this.  That
being said I lobe m0n0wall, it is way better than any of the other
commercial or GPL products I have used.

Jim Gifford wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:47:27AM -0800, John Andrunas wrote:
>

>>Is there anyway at all to get per ip statistics on who is using what
>>kind of bandwidth and maybe what ports?
>>

>I don't know of a way to do this within m0n0wall.  However, you could use
>a separate machine with something like this device:
>
>    http://www.snort.org/docs/tap/
>
>And run any software you want on the monitoring host to watch the
>traffic.  This might not be the most elegant approach, but certainly
>should be functional.
>
>If there is a way to do this within m0n0wall (or via the SNMP interface),
>I would love to learn about it.
>
>I hope this helps,
>jim

John Andrunas