[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Nocatsplash
 Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:57:26 +1000
Hi Mitch,

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 09:33, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
> Just a thought...
>
> > > Can be a bit difficult for all those hot-spot users that will
> > be using the
> > > network, no? :)
> >
> > Quite possibly, but I'd rather not have such a feature on a firewall -
> > its use would be limited to only those few people in that situation, and
> > would introduce another possible point of vulnerability for all users.
> > I still think that an Internet, web server, or other would be more
> > appropriate than some popup on the *firewall*.
> >

> In a time when there are more packaging managers than programmers (or so it
> seems) Why can't we stop bickering about what a firewall is, and start
> enabling people to do expansions they need.
>
> As monowall is based on FreeBSD, does it support the standard package
> manager functions?
>
> If so, then instead of saying "NO" to features each of us may personally
> find useless, and turning away those portions of a potentially larger user
> community, why don't we encourage or support organized extension of the
> existing platform?

Because a firewall is a security device.  Plain and simple.  It is not a
web server, nor a file server, nor an ftp server, nor does it do your
ironing, scrub the bathroom tiles nor wash the oil stains off your
garage floor.  The more fluff you add, the less secure the firewall
becomes, and the less able to do its real job - protecting your network.

> What is common and in yours or my best interest today MAY change tomorrow -
> I'd rather have one big project with lots of support and extendability as
> needed than have hundreds of splinter projects so no one knows which
> supports what.

Personally, I'd rather have a secure firewall.

Manuel, on his monowall website, does have a "hacker's guide" that will
allow you to create a m0n0wall image to suit your needs.  Sure, this may
create splinter projects, if you and others do this - but then people
can choose the added fluff they need.  I'd think that most people would
choose the "no fluff" version.  If a particular piece of added fluff
becomes popular, and fits within the ethos of m0n0wall, then I'm sure
Manuel would consider adding it to his base images.

I'd still rather have a secure firewall and use other devices to butter
my bread.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/