[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 To:  Richard Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 Cc:  John Voigt <1geek at jvoigt dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hotspot Access Pages
 Date:  Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:07:16 -0600
On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 14:32, Richard Morrell wrote:
> Quoting John Voigt <1geek at jvoigt dot com>:

Hey ... I'm not going to disagree ...

Where I work I am in a dark little room and I am not permitted to talk
to customers, potential customers or the general populace.

There just might be a good reason for that. :-)

I don't mean to be an ass I am just tired of seeing computers everywhere
being exploited and flooding the internet (and my external networks)
with garbage.

I finally gave up on logging traffic that was bounced off the firewall
and only log traffic that actually comes through now. There was just to
much worm/virus crap filling up log files doing no one any good. I find
that most of it originates on the networks of large broadband providers
that just don't care.

Many people blame microsoft for writing buggy software (and I am no fan
of their products in fact I use NONE) but the real problem is the people
that maintain the systems and the networks where they live.

All software has bugs (some more than others) and this is not going to
change but proper egress filtering will keep many of them from spreading
outside of your network.

If everyone took a stance like this  ##that it is your responsibility to
keep your network clean and not piss in the pool## than most of the
problems we see every day on the internet would not exist.

If you have a network that is directly connected to the internet then it
is your job to keep it clean. If you are an isp that connects customers
to the internet then it is your job to make sure that if one of those
customers has an incident you shut them off until it's fixed and do your
best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

David Rodgers