[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dana Spiegel <dana at sociableDESIGN dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Nocatsplash
 Date:  Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:18:46 -0500
Hilton,

This assumes you are running m0n0wall in a corporate environment, which
is only _one_ of a number of deployment possibilities. If you run
m0n0wall on your home DSL router, or at a cafe or small business, then
what Fred wants is entirely appropriate--please, no tirades about what
_belongs_ on a firewall... one can make a case for the SOHO user that
some suggested services _do_ belong on a firewall considering that a
captive portal requires the use of firewall rules.

That said, NoCatSplash is, I believe, written for Linux, not *BSD.
There is a basic requirements spec that was authored by me and Michael
Mee a few months ago, but I don't believe any work has happened on it
yet.

http://socalfreenet.org/book/view/58

Your best bet, if you need to use a single Soekris box or computer, may
be to use "pebble" http://www.nycwireless.net/pebble which is a linux
distro for doing exactly what you are asking. Its not as easy to use as
m0n0wall, but it works mostly out of the box.

Director, NYCwireless
dana at nycwireless dot net
www.nycwireless.net