[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dana Spiegel <dana at sociableDESIGN dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hotspot Access Pages
 Date:  Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:24:15 -0500
<soapbox>

One of the great things about m0n0wall is that it is based on best
practices in the firewall/network security/routing world. Because of
the tremendous amount of knowledge and experience that all of you bring
to the table, m0n0wall is built and configured "correctly" and the
interface tries to enforce these best practices.

The primary reason for a Captive Portal is _SECURITY_ so that people
using the hotspot can be informed about what they are doing. Don't view
hotspot users as outsiders, but rather people who should properly be on
the network just like a guest in your house or employee in your
business.

One of the things that we have established through NYCwireless and
other community wireless organizations, and that I have written up in
Michael's socalfreenet web site on m0n0wall, are Best Practices for
public wireless networks.

I think this is important because such networks are becoming more
mainstream, and require proper security practices. Just like home
broadband caused the creation of a SoHo router that drew its best
practices from the enterprise network world (and m0n0wall embodies
these concepts for both enterprise and SoHo use), wireless gear is
causing the creation of hotspot devices which draw best practices from
the enterprise AND soho network world. m0n0wall can include these best
practices and this functionality (if someone would write it, and I'm
actively seeking such people out to contribute to m0n0wall) with ease,
and by including them, would address the need for this new class of
network devices.

Those of you who are fearful of the bloat that it would cause: it
should only increase the image size by _at most_ a couple of MBs, and
will likely come in well under that.

Those of you who are fearful of security issues: the functionality
should be able to be completely disabled, just like VPN and NAT can be
disabled.

Those who fear tainting of the idea of m0n0wall: yours is the same
argument that PPTP or DNS functionality would have faced 6-10 years ago
in a similar device, yet we take this functionality for granted today.

</soapbox>

Director, NYCwireless
dana at nycwireless dot net
www.nycwireless.net