[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Stats
 Date:  Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:28:41 -0500
Someone pointed me to cacti off-list, and it is a lot nicer than cricket.
It also doesn't require as much system resources on the server.  And best
of all, it is far more responsive for the user.

However, I'll say the same thing about cacti that I said about MRTG and
cricket.  There aren't any SNMP MIBs on m0n0wall that permit per host or
per IP address statistics gathering.  All you can get is interface
statistics, which is nice to have, but isn't the level of detail everyone
keeps asking for.

I'll say that again: the SNMP MIBs in m0n0wall do not exist to do per
host or per IP address statistics.  You can't do a 'top talkers' list
from the SNMP MIBs that are available.

Every time I've chimed in on a thread about per host traffic stats, I've
had at least one response pointing me to MRTG (which I used at a previous
job), or cricket, or now cacti.  Of these, cacti is the sweetest, and I
appreciate the pointer.  I'll be removing cricket soon.  However, not one
of those pointing people to MRTG and related utils has demonstrated that
they can indeed get per host or per IP address stats from m0n0wall.  I've
used snmpwalk, and the MIBs just aren't there for that.

This is a Frequently Asked Question.  There are frequently pat answers
given.  Yet, in my opinion, the answers are for the wrong questions.  The
question isn't "how much of my total bandwidth is being used?" the
question is "which machine/protocol is using all my bandwidth?"

Having said all that, I would love to be proved wrong.  Until that
happens though, I'll be building an ethernet tap and using something like
ntop or the like.

Oh, and for the original poster, you might want to play with the traffic
shaping features.  If nothing else, you could shape everyone down to a
fair percentage of the total bandwidth, so that even if they are trying
to use more than they should, they can't.  I'm not sure how feasible
this would be though.

jim