[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Initializing PC cards... failed (probably no PC card controller present)
 Date:  Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:22:42 -0500
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:25:22AM -0500, Daniel Ribelin wrote:
> I have a 4501 Soekris box, and the link lights do not come on. I looked in
> the dmesg and see this
>
> Initializing PC cards... failed (probably no PC card controller present)

A net4501 doesn't have PCMCIA slots, so this is normal.

> So it seems that there is some sort of issue - do I need to purchase some
> hardware to make this work?

No, a net4501 should "just work" with m0n0wall.  In fact, that's the
platform m0n0wall was first developed for.

As for not having link light, that sounds like either a cabling issue or
a problem with the connection at the other end.  Have you tried using
crossover cables?  A different switch?  non-crossover cables?  A soekris
is wired as a host, not as a hub/switch.  As such, to connect it to a
host, you need a crossover cable.  To connect it to a hub or switch, a
normal cable should do.

Even without an OS (ie, just let the soekris come to the "bios" prompt
and hit ctrl-p to sit at the prompt), you should be able to test each
port for link.

Oh yeah, make sure you have enough power going to the soekris.  If none
of the above helps, you might want to ask on the soekris-tech mailing
list, or contact soekris directly for tech support on the hardware.

Good luck,
jim