[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Dinesh Nair" <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Hotspot Access Pages & modularity & so on.
 Date:  Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:08:02 -0800
> hear, hear. i'd suggest we just reuse FreeBSD's packages system for this.
> obviously, this would need some sort of permanent index of installed
> packages, ala /var/db/pkgf or a full FreeBSD installation.

I've seen a variety of people interested in certain changes (admittedly not
in everyone's best interest)...

But I've seen a few people like the idea of adopting a package system or
some sort of uniform way of integrating additions...

I'm currently chatting with Manuel about the relative pros of such a
concept - haven't convinced him yet though...

> i'd be game towards contributing development time on this, both on the
> FreeBSD side as well as on the php side of things, considering that i plan
> on using m0n0wall extensively over the coming few months.

Cool - my thinking is that if we are considering creating something that is
not (at least initially) adopted by the core project maintainer, then we are
probably better served focusing on a package system than on a particular
feature...

Keeping our single deviation synced with current monowall development will
make the process transparent for all package contributors, which will be a
lot easier in the long run than keeping each and every package in sync.

Will let you know how things go...

m/