[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] AirCard 555
 Date:  Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:35:05 -0500
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:14:13PM -0500, Ray Miller wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Looking into to using Monowall for a AP I want to create, but I need to
> know if it supports the Sierra AirCard 555.
>
> It's a CDMA cellular wireless card used for 144Kbps Internet access.
> Does anyone know of support with FreeBSD and with Monowall?

It doesn't work with FreeBSD 4.9 with any of the testing I did.  I've had
the card working under Linux before.  Even if you get it working under
FreeBSD 4.9 (which m0n0wall is based on), m0n0wall doesn't support any
kind of "dialup" WAN connections (except for PPPoE).  The aircard is
essentially a serial port when configured correctly, and you do PPP over
that serial link.

I would love to see this working with FreeBSD and m0n0wall, but I fear
there isn't sufficient interest to make it happen.

I suspect that a FreeBSD pcmcia guru could figure out how to decode the
SW_555_SER.dat file that makes the card work under linux and coerce it to
work under FreeBSD.  Of course, that's only half the battle.  The next
half is coercing m0n0wall to support dialup.  :/

Due to the fact that Verizon has started taking drastic steps on their
network to make anything except basic web browsing either suck or not
work at all, I've been considering trying to sell my card and cancel my
service.  There was a time when it was my primary means of connectivity
for personal use at a customer site.  However, these days, I think I'll
just do without rather than fight the ISP over whether SSH is a permitted
protocol.

jim

PS, pebble linux might meet your needs with the addition of the
SW_555_SER.dat file and the associated change to /etc/pcmcia/config.