[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Announcement: Package functionality under serious consideration!
 Date:  Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:07:24 -0500
At 01:50 PM 3/19/2004, Mitch \(WebCob\) wrote:
>After discussion with Manuel, we may have a winner...
>
>This would essentially be an UNSUPPORTED FEATURE, with a basic howto
>describing a sample addition.
>
>The purpose of this extention is to make it easier for people to add code to
>mono without having to patch the gui every time they add something.
>
>Package writers would be responsible for their own config file maintenance.
>
>This modification would simply allow for a standard where files included in
>/etc/inc/ext are executed after boot up, and files in /usr/local/www/ext are
>available through a "modules" menu in the gui. Maintenance by plug in
>writers of a menu.inc.php may be required.
>
>This way, adding your custom code to a mono release would simply be a matter
>of adding your files to the image - they would be included and accessible
>automatically from the gui.
>
>This would make features such as detailed accounting, WAP hotspot support,
>and others easier for individuals to maintain and apply to the current
>codebase without having to branch the code or patch the system every time
>they update (of course adding ones files would of course still be a
>requirement).
>
>The question is, will this keep the special interests at bay?
>
>Manuel is happy with mono at this point, and can't see working to add a lot
>more features he doesn't need, so I think this will give us a way to take
>development of individual features special groups want off his plate.
>
>The new functionality WOULD NOT ADD new packages or code to the base
>distribution - just hooks to avoid repeated patching and haphazzard merging
>of user code with Manuel's (so no risk to the Uber-Secure Zealots ;-) *no
>insult intended*)
>

>(Thanks Manuel!)
>
>What do you say guys?
>
>m/

You mean there were other options seriously discussed? <g>  This sounds to
me like an excellent choice.  Even if it were decided at some point in the
future that one or more of these modules might be integrated into the base
installation, unless they fall into the base category of FW, they could
certainly be left on a modules/options/addons/pickyournamehere menu.

Outstanding choice I believe.

Melvin

Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick any two