[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Way, Way, Way off topic but please humor me.
 Date:  Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:29:55 -0500
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:07:57PM -0600, David Rodgers wrote:
> Does anyone know (or care) if there exists out there somewhere a
> software product similar to m0n0wall with a proper web gui that
> functions as an NFS/Samba server.
>
> In my perfect world it I am looking for something kind of like this.
>
> A m0n0like image with all of the permanent software/OS that boots off of
> a flash card (16-32meg at most because they are cheap) and sees hard
> disks that are attached to
> the system and lets you partition/format them and assign them as exports
> and samba shares.
>
> No I don't want to turn M0n0 into this (It does it's job well enough)
> but I would like to find something that already exists and fills this
> niche.
>
> David Rodgers

I for one think this is a great idea.  I've used NetApp Filers in the
past, and they're really easy to manage with the (reasonably) well
thought out web GUI.  The CLI is decent enough as well.  I would love to
see a m0n0filer (or whatever other name someone might want to give it)
that would emphasize simplicity and make it easy to manage the core
functionality.

It would be nice to be able to manipulate all the extended block driver
features that FreeBSD has to offer, including RAID controllers, vinum,
and whatever other "cool" things it offers from a simple WEB GUI.

If it supported NFS and Samba serving, that would suffice for a vast
majority of systems out there.

I think m0n0bsd might be a good starting point for this.  Or perhaps just
start from a base FreeBSD box and follow the m0n0wall design guidelines.

Being able to have external authentication maps would be good as well.
For example, having the Samba mounts authenticated to a NT domain or
Active Directory.  I'm pretty sure Samba has the ability.

I would be willing to do as much as I'm able to assist with such a
project.

jim