[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brett Maxfield <maxfieb at spacenow dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Way, Way, Way off topic but please humor me.
 Date:  Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:03:01 +1000
David Rodgers wrote:
> Does anyone know (or care) if there exists out there somewhere a
> software product similar to m0n0wall with a proper web gui that
> functions as an NFS/Samba server.
>
> In my perfect world it I am looking for something kind of like this.
>
> A m0n0like image with all of the permanent software/OS that boots off of
> a flash card (16-32meg at most because they are cheap) and sees hard
> disks that are attached to
> the system and lets you partition/format them and assign them as exports
> and samba shares.

Why not wait for the package/addin system and use that?

Basically you could leave the shared fs system idle while m0n0wall
boots, and when your init module is called, init the raid drives, mount
the filesystems, start smbd or nfs server (no need to rewrite core OS) ?

Samba and/or NFS could have configs made on the fly based on the config
xml when the rc scripts are called.. you could then have things like
raid or share management as part of the main gui maybe ?

Cheers
Brett