[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Weston <fred dot weston at daytonawan dot com>
 To:  brwatters at abs dash internet dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridging Firewall
 Date:  Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:43:13 -0500
Brian R. Watters wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>We have a problem that needs to be addressed and need some feedback from the
>list how best to handle our issue, We have about 12 Win2k servers running
>standard INET services for web hosting and email some named based some IP
>based .. Of course all on different subnets ..
>
>How best to protect these systems via a firewall? .. Bridging firewall? ..
>Standard firewall and if so how? .. Will m0n0wall work in bridge mode ?
>
>Any how to's out there for this type of install for a server farm?
>

>Brian

Brian,

  A bridging firewall would be the easier way to go, and would probably
work OK if all of the servers have the same services running on them.
If you wanted to lock things down on a machine by machine basis,
bridging probably isn't for you.  I know m0n0 can bridge interfaces, but
I am not sure if it can apply firewall rules between them.  Someone else
will need to chime in.

Fred