[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phill R Kenoyer <phill at bmg50 dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Wireless Timeout Problem solved.
 Date:  Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:25:48 -0800
For over a month I was having problems with one of my relays.  It was
originally running Linux with Host-AP.  It was crashing almost every
night.  I thought it was something due to the Host-AP drivers.  I've
heard that they were not good.

So I upgraded the relay to a Soekris running m0n0wall.  This seemed to
improve the situation, but not solve it.  At certain times of the night
I would start getting timeout errors over and over.  This would be on
the AP side of the relay. (/kernel: wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 14a/3c;
last status 403c)  It would stop the users from accessing the internet.

After fighting with things for weeks, thinking it may be some HAM
operators in the area, I found the problem.  It had nothing to do with
radio waves or software setups.  Not even the Firmware was to blame for
this problem.

Power Save Mode!  I had one customer using a Linksys WMP11 PCI card to
connect to the relay.  It was setup on Windows XP.  The Power Save Mode
was enabled on it.  The day I had the customer disable it was the day
the errors stopped.

Has anyone else had this problem?