[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  David Kitchens <spider at webweaver dot com>, "Barber, Patrick (MCI)" <patrick dot barber dash eds at eds dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Mini PCI wireless cards
 Date:  Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:23:22 -0700
At 10:56 AM 3/25/2004, David Kitchens wrote:
>http://www.netgate.com/EL2511MP.html is a great device. I would bet they
>will ship to you, their customer service is great too. I've got this on a
>Soekris 4511 with a 5db antennae and it rocks! Just don't get the G card,
>this is B and G is not supported in m0n0 yet.

I have the same card and antenna in a net4501, and it =does= get great
signal coverage.

Unfortunately, the net4501 doesn't seem to have enough CPU grunt to be an
effective AP.  If I enable the hardware watchdog, it reboots.  If I leave
it out, it wedges and requires a power cycle.  The first is better than the
second.  :-)

It seems that the Prism chipset is sorta like a WinModem--most the AP work
is done in the driver, and with interrupts disabled as well.  As a result
the CPU runs out of time to devote to userland processes.

I can get it to stay up by using traffic shaping on the wireless interface
to insert a tenth second (100ms) delay between packets--enough time for the
CPU to catch its breath.  That, however, severely limits its usefulness in
feeding streaming audio to my TiVo.

I'm guessing a net4801 would work fine.  I'm thinking about plugging a $50
commercial WAP into the third ethernet interface instead.

Wanna buy my card and antenna?  :-)

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400