[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>
 To:  =?iso-8859-1?Q?=27Kurt_Inge_Sm=E5dal=27?= <kurt at emsp dot no>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Connection between two networks..
 Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:01:00 +0200

Subnetting if fine this way, only not done in classic classes, which is
irrelevant at this moment.

Static routes on hosts in BOTH networks (as a ping reply needs to find its
way too) NEED to be put on the hosts, as your default gateway for these
hosts is not the m0n0wall, which is the gateway to the other network.

Try this:

At the, set a route to over gateway

At the 10.2.1.x (some host on the network), set a route to over gateway

Try to ping from 10.2.1.x and vice versa... it should work.

On a sidenote:
You should be aware of the strange behaviour it will cause if you would ever
add routes at you default gateways, with no static routes on your hosts.
Since the gateway will be on the local subnet of the hosts using these
gateways, you will get this:

ping from to (sent packets) --> --> -->

ping from to (replied packets) --> --> -->

as you can see, the packets follow different routes from and to, which won't
work (statefull packetfilter, someone correct me if I'm wrong)...

Some Windows OS'es will 'learn' that the next hop is on the local subnet and
create a static route (non-persistent) automatically, which makes it even
more complicated when looking for the cause of a problem in this matter!

Océ enables its customers to manage their documents efficiently and

any computer.

Thank you for your cooperation.

website at www.oce.be