[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature Request: Subnet mask and subnet bits
 Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:10:04 -0500
>Hi,
>
>would it be possible to add "real" subnet masks (like 255.255.255.120) to
>m0n0wall? So that you could use the subnet bits (like /25) or the real
>subnet mask? I'm a network noob and I don't know how complicated it is to
>modify m0n0wall for this.

Possibly not very, but infinitely more complex than pointing you to a
network calculator like this:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/sparkman/netcalc.htm  There are lots of
others too, some of which you can install locally if you like.  Google for
subnet calculator and take your pick.

Be brave, jump in with both feet.  I know, this stuff drove me nuts for
quite some time too when I first started playing with it, but it's much
less confusing now.  Maybe not less frustrating, but at least less
confusing. <g>  I suspect you'll find you really only use about 2 or 3
different variants, but the link above also includes a brief explanations
of why/how they get what they get.

HTH
Melvin

Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick any two