[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jetpress dot com>
 To:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  'Welby McRoberts' <lists at bordem dot net>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] GRE Tunnels
 Date:  Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:02:18 +0100
Welby,

I assume you mean GRE in the context of PPTP?

m0n0wall is really flexible on this, you will find most of the configuration
options at 'VPN: PPTP'. On this page you can configure m0n0wall to act as a
PPTP end point or redirect PPTP traffic to a NATed host on the inside of the
firewall. In either scenario the remote end of the tunnel needs to point at
the WAN address of the m0n0wall. Note that the PPTP redirection option
configures the correct firewall rules for the GRE and TCP protocol 1723
automatically.

We are lucky enough to have some public IP subnets which are routed to our
m0n0wall. We are currently using 1:1 NAT to direct traffic from some of the
public IPs to servers with public services inside the firewall, PPTP
included. However this works just as well with no NAT using m0n0wall as a
packet filtering router (which I do at home with another public IP subnet).
In either of these scenarios you do have to configure the firewall rules
manually for GRE and TCP protocol 1723. It is not necessary to configure
PPTP redirection on the 'VPN: PPTP' page for 1:1 NAT.

Hope this helps, if not let us know.

JET PRESS LIMITED
Nunn Close
Huthwaite
Nottinghamshire
NG17 2HW
UK

Web:	www.jetpress.com
Tel:	+44-1623-551 800
Fax: 	+44-1623-551 175

Confidentiality Notice
This message and its contents are confidential.  The contents are solely for the attention of the
recipient(s) named above and any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution is forbidden.  If
you are not the recipient named above, please contact the sender immediately and destroy this
message.  The views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not necessarily those of
JET PRESS LIMITED.