[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wanting to be able to service m0n0wall from ...
 Date:  Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:41:50 +1000
Hi Andrew,

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 11:48, Andrew wrote:
> My current setup ...
>
> <Internet> <-> <Smoothwall> <-> (My local area network) <-> <m0n0wall> ... WIRELESS!!
>
> I'm just using it as a upgradable access point, but it seems as though there are no options
> on being able to administrate it from the WAN port which gets an IP from my smoothwall box.
>
> So what I want todo is be able to type the m0n0wall address on my "local area network" subnet
> which is 192.168.0.4 and be able to snmp the local & be able to administrate the system from
> my local area network, and possibly perhaps block access to it on the LAN side...
>
> Thanks, hope I can get a answer soon...

Why don't you just use a m0n0wall in place of your Smoothie, running the
WAN to the Internet, the LAN to your internal network, and the OPT1
interface to your WiFi AP?  This will eliminate one machine, simplify
your network, provide at least the same security as you currently have,
and also allow you to have SNMP access to the m0n0wall without the need
for a VPN from your machine to the internal IP on the m0n0wall (hint:
this is how I'd achieve your goals with your current configuration).

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/