[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Eric Garnice" <eric at number13 dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] CDROM ISO
 Date:  Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:23:10 -0500
Jim,

Things to consider:

Hardware reliability
Media reliability
Power consumption
Hackability
Space requirements

As for the hardware, CD-ROM drives and floppy drives can fail.  Hard drives
will drop dead as well.  Anything that physically moves will stop doing so
one day.  The magnetic media of a floppy disk has never been very reliable,
and it isn't easy to hack the ISO image should you ever want to.

Soekris boxes (and similar) offer stellar reliability mostly due to their
utter lack of moving parts, plus this naturally reduces power consumption as
well.

I'm poor but have lots of old PC's around, so I use the generic PC version
on a PIII 500 with a $15 Compact Flash drive.  I don't get to revel in the
low electricity bills of my fellow Soekris users, but my unit is very
reliable with the only moving parts being a couple of fans, which won't stop
my m0n0wall cold should one fail.

Hope this helps a bit.

Eric (top poster) Garnice