[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Martin Holst" <mail at martinh dot dk>
 To:  "'Manuel Kasper'" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: Beta version 1.1b1 available
 Date:  Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:26:20 +0200
Interesting... did you find the checksum problem through packet sniffing on
the WAN-interface?

I just received a mail from the MPD-list that confirms that 2003/XP uses
fixed a MTU of 1400 for VPN-connections:

"Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows 2000, and Microsoft
Windows XP use a fixed MTU size of 1500 bytes for all PPP connections and
use a fixed MTU size of 1400 bytes for all VPN connections. This is the
default setting for PPP clients, for VPN clients, for PPP servers, or for
VPN servers that are running Routing and Remote Access."

(More on this link: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826159)

It seems to me that the easiest way is to "fix" MPD - even if it's not
broken.

Getting MS to fix anything is probably not easy at all.

Anyway, Michael Bretterklieber who is also an admin on the MPD project has
responded positively to my latter posts.
I will send him IPFILTER/Ethereal logs from m0n0wall/PPTP-client ASAP and he
will test the NdisWan MTU-setting on XP today himself and get back to me.

So there might be light at the end of the tunnel ;o)

/Martin