[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 To:  Al Dykes <adykes at panix dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] CDROM ISO
 Date:  Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:16:35 -0600
for just a few dollars and a couple minutes of work you can cut the
power consumption and failure rate to nearly zero. The soekris boxes are
cool (in fact the are about the ultimate) but I think they are really
expensive for what you are actually getting. This is doubly true if you
have some supported hardware already laying around. For these reasons I
think many, many more people will end up using the generic PC image.

Start with pretty much the lowest powered machine you have (cpu wise)
since that is what the soekris represents anyway. Many of you will be
hard pressed to find a pc laying around as slow as the 4501 soekris
boxes. (486 133mhz)

You can buy a SiliconTech, DiskOnChip or similar ide flash drive
on ebay for $10-$20 depending on size (not to be confused with a usb
flash drive) This will save a lot since much of power draw and most of
the worry about failure comes from a constantly spinning hard drive
motor. It is also roughly the cost of a used CDrom drive which makes
using just a cd boot no real savings.

This will just plug right into the ide interface like another hard drive
and that is how the system will recognize it.

You can save more electric money buy using a PC with no extra gear like
cdrom drive, floppy drive and addon cards (sound/video etc) that you
don't need.

Basically to break it down just a motherboard/cpu, ram ,your flash
drive, some network adapters and some kind of power supply (even a 12
volt dc-dc converter and external brick) is all you need in the case. On
low end pentiums you can also omit the fan for a larger heatsink safely.

I ran m0n0 a setup like this at home to start with and my electric bill
showed absolutely no difference.

micro-atx 120 watt power supply
micro-atx MB with amd k6 233 cpu (no fan)
128mb SDRam
64mb SiliconTech IDE Flash Drive
2 Dual Port intel ethernet cards

Also I replaced this last month with a nokia ip120 with is roughly
identical to the soekris 4801 and have seen no additional savings.

Now after saying all of this I have to add one thing. If you want to
build a clean, sharp looking semi-custom appliance that you can rebrand
and will impress your friends or clients the soekris is definitely the
way to go.

Standard disclaimers apply as well ..... electricity prices may be more
volatile where you live, these are just my opinions and experience .....
etc.

I just have to say this one more time before I finish this.....

M0n0wall is THE BEST, most bloat free, most functional and certainly the
most beautiful open firewall platform that it has ever been my privilege
to use. THANK YOU!!! Keep up the good work!!

David Rodgers