[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Weston <fred dot weston at daytonawan dot com>
 To:  murphy at imelectronic dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Where is the SSID???
 Date:  Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:13:22 -0500
murphy at imelectronic dot com wrote:

>I was the one who stated that the card woldnt work, I was incorrect in a way, you need to have two
HostAP compatable cards, which are PRISM 2/2.5 in order to bridge wireless to wireless, or wireless
to wired with one HostAP card, or if you want to hve a proper AP. I was able to both make a wireless
to wireless bridge, and a wireless to wired bridge with a netgear MA311(PRISM 2.5 based) PCI card in
a PII system.

>on a side note, you can use the 350 as a ADHOC cleint and bridge that way, but you would have to
change the AP to ADHOC as well. also you could make it an INFRASTUCTURE client as well, leaving the
AP how it is.

>taken from the WebGUI: "Note: IBSS mode is sometimes also called "ad-hoc" mode;
>BSS mode is also known as "infrastructure" mode"
>
>you should be seeing the option for the cad to be in IBSS or BSS mode, but for your inteded
application, I beleive you want HostAP, which neds a PRISM 2/2.5 based card.

He said he already had an access point that he is trying to link his
firewall to, so any wireless card that can operate in infrastructure
mode should work fine, regardless of the chipset.