[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  "Jay Wherley (SEI)" <jrw at squires dash eng dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] some notes on how we added traffic graphs to m0n0wall...
 Date:  Sat, 03 Apr 2004 01:32:13 +0200
Hi Jay,

Jay Wherley (SEI) wrote:
> i've put together some notes and a pair of screenshots describing a
> method we used to add network traffic (and net4801 enviromental
> data - Temperature, Vcc, Vpower) graphs to m0n0wall.
>
> full details here: http://www.squires-eng.com/graphinfo.html
>
> the data is collected (via cron job) using SNMP for the network
> interfaces, and some parsing of env4801 program output for the
> enviromental data. it is stored in a fixed size "round robin"
> database.
>
> lots of different custom graphs could be used to pull up the data -
> the ones i made show hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly
> data.
>
> the data is persisted across power cycles by periodically copying
> the database to /cf (and using that if it exists at startup).

VERY nice! Any chance you'd care to implement this using the new
plugin interface for m0n0wall, making it a bit easier for us *NIX
ignorants to get it up and running?

If not, anyone else on the list who'd be up to this task?

By the way, I'm using the PC version of m0n0wall, any chance this
would work anyway? I guess the environment part wouldn't, at least not
without some changes, but I'm primarily after the traffic graphs.

Perhaps, if being implemented as a plugin, it could be split into two
seperate ones, one for the traffic, and one for the environmental
stuff. This would also allow the latter to be modified for the various
platforms supported, in case someone want or need to do so.

Regards,

Adam.