[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jordan Elver <jordan dot elver at dsl dot pipex dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Trouble connecting ADSL
 Date:  Sat, 3 Apr 2004 10:49:38 +0000
Hi,
I'm having trouble setting up my first m0n0wall. I have a mini-ITX box running
with three nics assigned and working. I have also set my ADSL modem (D-Link
300G+) to be in "bridge mode" and it is connected to the WAN nic. My provider
is using PPPoE and I have filled out the relevent details for PPPoE in the
web gui. I understand that m0n0wall will use it's own PPPoE client to connect
through the modem, is that correct?

The problem is that it doesn't seem to able to connect. I get messages like
these in the system logs.

mpd: [pppoe] device is now in state DOWN
mpd: [pppoe] pausing 6 seconds before open
mpd: [pppoe] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: Down event
mpd: [pppoe] link: DOWN event

These messages appear many times with different amounts of seconds. I think
that this configuration should be working, but I cant get access to the
Internet.

My line is definately working as I also have an existing smoothwall with usb
modem which connects fine. I have found that if I connect using the
smoothwall setup and then quickly plug the line from the usb modem to the
D-Link, then reboot m0n0wall, the line is then active? Obviously that is a
slighty annoying procedure to follow each time I turn off m0n0wall :)

Any tips where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Jord