[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Jordan Elver <jordan dot elver at dsl dot pipex dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Trouble connecting ADSL
 Date:  Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:01:32 +0200
On 03.04.2004 10:49 +0000, Jordan Elver wrote:

> filled out the relevent details for PPPoE in the  web gui. I
> understand that m0n0wall will use it's own PPPoE client to connect
> through the modem, is that correct?

Yes.

> The problem is that it doesn't seem to able to connect. I get
> messages like  these in the system logs.
>
> mpd: [pppoe] device is now in state DOWN
> mpd: [pppoe] pausing 6 seconds before open
> mpd: [pppoe] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
> mpd: [pppoe] LCP: Down event
> mpd: [pppoe] link: DOWN event

This indicates that the PPPoE client cannot get any reply from the
remote server. Possible reasons: misconfigured DSL modem, DSL line
down...

> My line is definately working as I also have an existing smoothwall
> with usb  modem which connects fine. I have found that if I connect
> using the  smoothwall setup and then quickly plug the line from the
> usb modem to the  D-Link, then reboot m0n0wall, the line is then
> active? Obviously that is a  slighty annoying procedure to follow
> each time I turn off m0n0wall :)

Make sure that your D-Link Ethernet ADSL modem is in RFC 1483 bridge
mode. The DSL link on it obviously needs to be up - if it's not, then
it's a problem with the modem. You could also try using the Ethernet
modem with your Smoothwall. :)

- Manuel