[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>, Eric Shorkey <eshorkey at commonpointservices dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] some notes on how we added traffic graphs tom0n0wall...
 Date:  Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:15:05 -0700
At 06:14 PM 4/2/2004, Adam Nellemann wrote:
>In any case, any kind of traffic grapher (IMHO the current SVG
>implementation as well) should be made a plugin, seing as many people
>won't need or use this feature (actually I think the same could possibly
>be said about the VPN and/or DynDNS features). Making it a plugin would
>also allow a traffic grapher to have such "bloated" requirements as you
>mention, since RAM challenged users could then either choose a "leaner"
>grapher plugin, or omit this feature altogether (opting instead for a SNMP
>solution).

The point you missed is that all this stuff lives in the CF image.  When
m0n0wall boots, it creates a RAM drive and populates it by decompressing a
root filesystem stored on the CF.  So, making these features plugins
doesn't stop the "bloat".

Further, you are either going to have to set up some development
environment to generate the CF image anyway.  Or else, you've migrated from
the original idea of running on an embedded system like the Soekris or WRAP
boards to something with a hard drive or NFS client.

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228