[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Where is the SSID???
 Date:  Sun, 04 Apr 2004 11:02:39 +0200
On 03.04.2004 16:28 -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:

>> m0n0wall is a firewall, not an access point or a bridge. And IMHO,
>> hostap  isn't reliable, featureful and fast enough to be a
>> complete replacement  for a real commercial AP.
>
> The tone of this came off a bit testy.  Not that I disagree with

Yes, I don't like to pretend.

> you about  any of it, and I probably would have jumped in a lot
> sooner if I were  you.  It's one thing for folks to want to fork or
> modify on their own, it's  another for those not skilled enough to
> do so to push for it to be part of  the formal project.

That's it! Since m0n0wall is one of very few comparable projects,
it's clear that people would like it to do all kinds of things, for
lack of (free) alternatives. Still, I don't want it to be a
m0n0router, m0n0bridge, m0n0AP, m0n0server or whatever at the same
time.

> Maybe cranking up a forked project space on SourceForge would
> satisfy some  of those needs.  That and the creation of a m0n0wall
> user's group?

Why would this be a prerequisite for anyone to start doing some
development, and why should I of all people do that? People who
really want to develop and contribute good code to m0n0wall can do
so. We even have the m0n0wall-dev mailing list for that purpose. But
making promises and beating about the bush is easier than taking
action...

> It'd make me nuts to have something fairly cool I built for myself
> and then  decided to share to become a second, uncompensated job.

Yes, that's why I have the nerve not to implement everything people
are asking for. There's no need to say yes to everything.

- Manuel