[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] How to block Hotmail and Yahoo
 Date:  Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:16:27 +1000
Hi Chad,

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 07:23, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> At 09:14 PM 3/31/2004, Hilton Travis wrote:
> >If anyone has any thoughts on this setup, or other ways to block
> >particular web addresses/IPs and spam/viruses, then by all means reply!
>
> Looks pretty good to me.  I might think about using a net4801 with m0n0BSD
> for the filter box.  I just love those Soekris boxen with no moving
> parts.  They should run a hunnert years.

Yeah, that would be good, except that this Filter PC will also be
running remote syslog function for the m0n0wall box.  That's something
that could cause issues with a flash only box - and also its IDS logging
(which, in reality, should be empty as m0n0wall won't allow crap
through).  Also, using it as a mail filter would require a lot of hard
drive write access, especially when the internal mail server is down
(service packs, whatever) as it has to pull apart and scan the emails.
So this would mean that running it on a CF would be inappropriate.

I'm thinking about building this on m0n0bsd and then using it on a
net4801 with a 2.5" HDD instead of a CF card.  This would still allow me
to stock only a limited range of hardware (net4501, net4801) and supply
both pre-built, pre-configured m0n0wall and m0n0bsd/FilterPC boxes as
and when required.

For larger sites, obviously I'd need a unit with more grunt than the
net4801 can provide, and I could then look into VIA EPIA or Celeron
systems as appropriate.

Anyway, something to think about.

--

Regards,