[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "taharka" <res00vl8 at alltel dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Trouble connecting ADSL
 Date:  Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:56:29 -0400
> > > This indicates that the PPPoE client cannot get any reply from the
> > > remote server. Possible reasons: misconfigured DSL modem, DSL line
> > > down...
> >
> > Well, it's not the line, so it must be a modem problem of some sort.
>
> Right, I have now tried out the modem properly and I found that
> my ISP uses
> PPPoA. I don't know why I was convinced it was PPPoE! Anyway, how can I
> connect using PPPoA? I don't see a section for that in the web
> gui. Is PPPoA
> supported?
>
> Thanks,
> Jord
The following post is in the archives & according to it, looks like PPPoA
does work :)

On 25.01.2004, at 00:03, lonek at blenders dot pl wrote:

> I have an internet provider, that supplied me with ADSL modem which is
> connected to the PC via the USB port (SAGEM F@ST 800 USB). What more,
> this modem uses PPPoA. Will m0n0wall be able to operate on such
> hardware/connection type..? I can't check it myself right now, so
> that's why I post this message.

Nope, USB ADSL modems are not supported. There are FreeBSD drivers for
a few USB ADSL modems available, but I'm no big fan of those modems
because they need (proprietary) microcode downloads and that kind of
stuff. Try getting an Ethernet ADSL modem instead (also called bridge),
they're easier to handle and IMHO much more reliable too.

BTW, PPPoA means you'll have to use PPTP on your m0n0wall's WAN
interface.

Good luck,
---