[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Weston <fred dot weston at daytonawan dot com>
 To:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 Cc:  dave <dave at rodrig dot com>, Samenlia <fhliang at 163 dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] about the load averages: 2.11, 0.07, 0.05
 Date:  Mon, 05 Apr 2004 01:36:58 -0400
Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

>That is my understanding too - BUT what I'd like to know is how that relates
>to performance and usability... like when does a webserver start showing lag
>or a vpn start dropping connections?
>
>I expect there are no hard and fast rules, but is there a real use to these
>numbers other than a realative indication of my system load?
>
>m/

I would imagine the numbers are too software specific to make any
statements.  The only real way to tell would be to monitor the CPU usage
and see how it affects firewall or VPN throughput.  The only problem
there is artificially raising the CPU load in m0n0wall.  I'm not too
familiar with FreeBSD, but I would imagine you'd have to hack some
program in there in order to do that in a controlled manner.