[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Luke Spragg <lukespragg at xaviortech dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FreeBSD 5.2
 Date:  Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:54:02 +0200
On 05.04.2004 13:44 -0400, Luke Spragg wrote:

> I would be really nice we could upgrade m0n0wall to FreeBSD 5.2 so
> that it supports a lot more wireless cards because I can't seem to
> find any cards that work on FreeBSD 4.9 that are still sold in
> stores.

It doesn't look like we can do this anytime soon, because FreeBSD 5.2
is very far from being as stable as 4.9, as I recently had to find
out again. Besides, it's also still a good deal slower. 5.x doesn't
support so many more wireless cards - AFAIR Atheros is the only new
driver (OK, I agree, it's an important one...).

Personally, I'd recommend using a separate, dedicated access point
where possible. It's easier, faster and probably more reliable (and
sometimes even cheaper).

- Manuel