[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James Adams" <jadams at comprehendinc dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  mOnOwall and Wireless configuration
 Date:  Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:36:43 -0400
Hi all,
I'm the MIS Director for a small, rural, non-profit community mental health
center. We have recently purchased a building adjoining our current
building--approx 30 yards between the buildings. Rather than purchasing one
of the embedded mOnOwall appliances for wireless network connectivity,  I
was wondering if I could install mOnOwall on two PII machines that I have
and accomplish the same thing?

I'm not unfamiliar with networking, IPTables, etc., but very unfamiliar with
wireless; but I do know that I need WEP. And I do know that I will need
cable, antennas etc..  A local vendor is trying to sell us a Linux-based
software package, Star-OS, running on my old PIIs  for about $1600. Another
is trying to sell us a 3com solution for about $2300. I have a sneaking
suspicious that I can do this with mOnOwall. Our state is in the midst of a
budget crisis and my IT funds are being slashed dramatically.

TIA for any advice,

Jim Adams
MIS Director
Comprehend, Inc.