[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 To:  James Adams <jadams at comprehendinc dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] mOnOwall and Wireless configuration
 Date:  Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:54:08 -0500
On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 15:36, James Adams wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm the MIS Director for a small, rural, non-profit community mental health
> center. We have recently purchased a building adjoining our current
> building--approx 30 yards between the buildings. Rather than purchasing one
> of the embedded mOnOwall appliances for wireless network connectivity,  I
> was wondering if I could install mOnOwall on two PII machines that I have
> and accomplish the same thing?

Absolutely! Yes you can do exactly what you are trying to do! :-)

> I'm not unfamiliar with networking, IPTables, etc., but very unfamiliar with
> wireless; but I do know that I need WEP.

Instead of WEP though you could setup your m0n0walls at each site and do
gateway to gateway VPN with ipsec to protect your traffic. I assume that
this will be patient data and such going back and forth? I would not
entrust WEP to keep something like that safe from prying eyes.

> And I do know that I will need
> cable, antennas etc..

You could probably accomplish this best with a pair of PC's running
M0n0wall and 2 cisco or (insert other company name here) external
wireless bridges from ebay. If the total distance is 30 yards and line
of site is good the cute little rubber ducky antenna that comes with it
will be fine.

> A local vendor is trying to sell us a Linux-based
> software package, Star-OS, running on my old PIIs  for about $1600. Another
> is trying to sell us a 3com solution for about $2300. I have a sneaking
> suspicious that I can do this with mOnOwall. Our state is in the midst of a
> budget crisis and my IT funds are being slashed dramatically.

It's scary what people will try to sell you these days.

That being said if you don't feel comfortable fitting all of this stuff
together and making it work commercial solutions can save your life.

David Rodgers