[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bosse Timothy" <Bosse dot tf at mellon dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] FreeBSD 5.2
 Date:  Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:26:01 -0400
The problem with 5.2 is that it is considered an "unstable" branch of
FreeBSD.  Unstable meaning that it requires testing and potential
bug-fixes.  As such, it should not be considered for production use.  I
believe it is Manuel's goal to provide a stable, secure and mature
firewall solution.  As such, FreeBSD 5.2 does not meet the requirements
of stable, secure or mature by even FreeBSD standards, let alone
Manuel's standards.  I would have to agree with both FreeBSD and
Manual's opinion of 5.2 especially when considered for a firewall
solution.

If you want m0n0 to run 5.2, you (or somebody else) will need to make it
happen.  One of the many possible issues you could run into might
include possible configuration incompatibilities between 4.9 and 5.2.
You might also see some apps called differently, etc...