[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James Adams" <jadams at comprehendinc dot com>
 To:  "'David Rodgers'" <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] mOnOwall and Wireless configuration
 Date:  Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:37:24 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: David Rodgers [mailto:david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net]
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 3:54 PM
To: James Adams
Cc: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 15:36, James Adams wrote:
> network connectivity,  I was wondering if I could install mOnOwall on
> two PII machines that I have and accomplish the same thing?

David>> Absolutely! Yes you can do exactly what you are trying to do! :-)

David, John, Cory and others,
Thanks for your quick and courteous responses. Great news so far!

David>> Instead of WEP though you could setup your m0n0walls at each site
and do gateway to gateway VPN with ipsec to protect your traffic. I assume
that this will be patient data and such going back and forth? I would not
entrust WEP to keep something like that safe from prying eyes. You could
probably accomplish this best with a pair of PC's running M0n0wall and 2
cisco or (insert other company name here) external wireless bridges from
ebay. If the total distance is 30 yards and line of site is good the cute
little rubber ducky antenna that comes with it will be fine.

for $50. Is this what you're suggesting? Two mpbs seems a little slow, but
all the staff will be using the connectivity for is email. The vendor is
pricing Orinoco cards.I would drop a ethernet cable, but I have to span a
city street and city ordinance won't allow this, but it is line of sight and
no more than 50 yards, but more like 30-40.

> A local vendor is trying to sell us a Linux-based
> software package, Star-OS, running on my old PIIs for about $1600.

David>> It's scary what people will try to sell you these days. That being
said if you don't feel comfortable fitting all of this stuff together and
making it work commercial solutions can save your life.

I agree and I'm not concerned about building this from scratch.

Jim Adams
MIS Director
Comprehend, Inc.
Maysville KY USA