[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Vincent FLEURANCEAU <v dot fleuranceau at parc dash landes dash de dash gascogne dot fr>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Corporate VPN (multiple tunnels) - Feedbacknedeed
 Date:  Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:58:46 -0700
At 12:45 AM 4/1/2004, Vincent FLEURANCEAU wrote:
>I'm looking for people who use m0n0wall in a corporate environment, for
>their customers or for their own needs.

We have two uses.

The first is an exterior firewall between our ISP (AT&T) and all the rest
of our gear.  That runs on a Soekris net4501, and does the typical blocking
of RFC-1918 addresses, spoofed versions of our own addresses, the
draft-Manning address set, throttling of ICMP for DoS attacks, etc.  It is
fed a 100Mbps FDX ethernet from AT&T.  According to our SNMP monitoring, we
average around 2Mbps long term, but do burst to the full 100Mbps.  Since
that box is a single point of failure, there is a second identically
configured net4501 in the rack with Cat5 certified RJ-45 switches as a hot
standby.  We're planning to eventually implement VRRP or something like it
to make the failover automatic.

The other use is to implement a hack/kludge.  We are an ASP, and most of
our customers connect via a VPN to our inner firewall (which is a Sun E250
running Checkpoint Firewall-1).  The net between the inner and outer
firewalls is our untrusted network (or DMZ).  Because the customer is
always right, we allow their own network addresses to traverse the
DMZ.  That means, inevitably, we have collisions on RFC-1918 address
spaces.  We use a net4501 to do 1:1 NAT on one block of addresses to
another (non-conflicting) block of addresses.

>More, I plan to use m0n0wall on Soekris hardware, so I have 2 other questions:
>
>- Does the 4501 (basic) model suit for all 5 gateways?

Probably.  But the cost difference between it and the net4801 is small
enough you might not want to gamble.

>- Is the VPN add-on card useful (or even needed) for all 5 gateways?

It moves the encryption for key exchange and IPsec into hardware from
software.  So, the more tunnels you need to terminate, the more you'd want
the card, or the faster 4801, or both.

Since you said these offices are going to be connected by DSL, my guess is
the data rates will be slow enough you will not have to worry.  But only
you can actually test in your own environment.

Has anyone on this list benchmarked a 4501 with VPN card against a 4801
without?

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400