[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Rodgers <david dot rodgers at kdsi dot net>
 To:  James Adams <jadams at comprehendinc dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] mOnOwall and Wireless configuration
 Date:  Mon, 05 Apr 2004 17:02:14 -0500

> for $50. Is this what you're suggesting? Two mpbs seems a little slow, but
> all the staff will be using the connectivity for is email. The vendor is
> pricing Orinoco cards.I would drop a ethernet cable, but I have to span a
> city street and city ordinance won't allow this, but it is line of sight and
> no more than 50 yards, but more like 30-40.

Actually that would be the older generation of aironet gear before the
acquisition by cisco. All of the new stuff that I have see is 802.11b
and 11mbit half duplex.

In reality it's about a 5mbitish link when actually measured. You could
probably also go the 802.11a or g route wich will yield more bandwidth
since your distance is so short and you are outside.

you will pick up something comparable by dlink, netgear or linksys
cheaper than the actual cisco gear. I have used the cisco 340/350
equipment in many situations and (especially for a point to point) it's
rock solid. I can't vouch for the other vendors kit though. You are
looking for an 802.11b or g wireless bridge not one labeled wireless
cable/dsl router as with many of them you can't even turn nat off. (yes
before I'm lambasted you could make it work with the nat router and some
tinkering)

Here are some of the kind of thing I am talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3089340795&category=44997

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088688849&category=51164

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088390017&category=51165

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088562953&category=51166